27.2.14

a fun link a long!!

Pip Lincolne wrote an interesting article over at Meet Me at Mikes the other day, most of which I could relate to in some way. It was basically about how we have become good at "skimming" over blogs, rather then reading them. We are less likely to leave comments on our peers blogs, and we may not be quite so good at linking back to ideas and bloggers that have inspired our own creations on our own posts. I guess she was expressing concern about a breakdown in the blogging community. Do you relate?

I wonder if phone apps like Instagram have taken a bit away from blogging. I find that once I share a pic on Instagram, I don't see the point of sharing it on my blog as well. I also wonder if all the instant receiving of pics we can get on Instagram and Facebook etc makes the slower paced blogging a little less sexy! If so, that's a shame. I'd hate to lose what I've found from blogging due to this slick and fast pace world we are all moving in!

I have also found (and perhaps it's because I'm an old fuddy duddy) that a lot of blogs have changed the way you can leave a comment, and I find myself using these other modes less. Sometimes your comment will appear via facebook, or you have to sign up to some new comment leaving thingy, and I guess I'm not so into this (and sometimes neither is my crappy computer.) The blogs which I leave most of my comments on are the ones that haven't "changed over" which probably says more about me being a bit slow when it comes to change, and less about the fabulous blogs I'm not leaving comments on! What are your thoughts on this?

Anyway, in order to get bloggers talking and sharing once again, Pip has started a little thing called a LINK A LONG where you post about a few people/blogs that are currently inspiring you (obviously including links!!) What I love about Pip is she always tackles things with positivity!  And so I thought I'd join in and share with you about 5 people who inspire me!
Sophie from Her Library Adventures- this is my GO TO blog for inspiration. I first found Sophie's blog after one of her very cool makes featured in Mollie Makes magazine. Her photos are stunning, they make you want to drop everything and make your house as calm and lovely as hers seems to be, and whats more, I've really appreciated the honesty in which she has written about some pretty painful stuff, as well as the joy she has shared about becoming a new mother. A really nourishing little space, her blog is. Oh, and her posts on journalling have totally inspired me to start journalling again too!! So thankyou, Sophie!
This is Zara, who writes Zaranne-Handmade, one of my other favourite blogs. I can't remember how I stumbled across it, but I'm glad I did. Zara shares her wonderful thrifty finds, clever makes and inspiring garden. She's one of those bloggers who I feel like I already know, and have to remind myself sometimes that we have never met! I hope some day that I will though...
I met Rachel Cooper and her hubby Joel back stage at a gig we were both playing at Manchester Lane in Melbourne (remember that venue!!?) many years ago. We got chatting, and I realised I had stumbled across not just another band, but two really inspiring people! The couple are both part the indie band The Evening Cast (go check them out and support great original Aussie music!) and also run a handmade fashion label and little shop down in Geelong called Frank and Dolly's. Seriously, they are just living the lives they were obviously born to live... creating, making, travelling, parenting and doing it all TOGETHER! How cute is that? Rachel has certainly been an inspiration to me, being both a muso and crafty type, I used to feel that I could only be one or the other, silly I know.....check out Rachel and Joel being super dooper gorgeous in the beautiful clip.


Artist Lily Mae Martin was a friend of a friend many moons ago, and we ran into each other at a few gigs back in the day. I remember what a cool chick she was, and I still have a little badge with one of her drawings on it that she gave to me randomly one night! Our paths haven't crossed for quite some time, but they have certainly collided online!! Lily's artwork is a thing of beauty, and epic talent. Raw, Honest, Emotive, but always beautiful in some way. She is another artist like myself who became a parent in her 20's, and like Rachel, she reminds me everyday that you can be a parent and still remain completely engaged in your art as well. This is something that many artists who become mums fairly young in life struggle with, I've noticed. I think we sometimes worry that we didn't give out art "everything we've got" for long enough, or at least compared to some of our peers who haven't been raising families. But Lily is parenting, arting, and pretty much being awesome.
Taz Carr writes Butter and Buntings, a gorgeous blog filled with lovely crafty ideas, amazing recipes, photos of Taz's vintage home, and more. Taz is also one of my wonderful sister in laws, and over the many years we have become very close. Last year Taz and I sensed that our creative ideas and energies were similar and that combined we could work on something together to share with the world. That's how our zine Hundreds and Thousands was born, and I can't even begin to tell you how wonderful it has been working on it with Taz. It's been the best! So many cups of tea, slices of cake, quiches, laughing attacks and heart to hearts have been shared over our weekly magazine making catch ups. Taz is someone who isn't afraid of dealing with problems, shares her life with others with such honesty and integrity, and is seriously the best op shopper in the world.

So these are a few people who are inspiring me at the moment, and you should go and check them out! And if you made it to the end of this looooong post without "skimming it" CONGRATULATIONS!!

I'd love to know who inspires you, and perhaps if you've noticed a change in blogging over the last year or so??

Have a lovely weekend!

Mezz xoxox

5 comments:

  1. I didn't skim! But i will be honest and say sometimes my intention is to catch up on blogs, but if i see a long one, I close it for when i have more time and less distractions, but then actually forget. I really enjoy blogging and comments give me a boost, but i also have to realise people dont always comment but do read them and I cant let the amount of comments control my feelings. My computer sometimes wont let me comment or freezes or something silly, so I find I just calm my self down by not trying to comment for the 10th time and just know that Ive enjoyed that read and wait for the next. Thanks for the words lovely. See you tomorrow! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an interesting question Mezz........no doubt there are many different reasons, but my blogging ways have most definitely changed.
    I've had my little blog for 5 years now, can't believe it's been that long!!
    Facebook has seduced me away from my little blog with it's quick and easy posting, it's ability to reach a wider community and to interact with other crafty people. Time is always an issue and if I see a blog post that is very long and wordy, I find I do skim a little ( but I did read your entire post:) It's a lesson I had to learn and no doubt failed miserably and that is not to waffle on, which I'm probably doing now!! I do read entire posts of fave blogs, but if I'm just wanting a crafty fix I will scroll through look at all the wonderful pics get the gist of the post and move on.
    Jumping through hoops to leave a comment, turns me off as well.........
    I will keep blogging as it has been a wonderful way to 'meet' people around the globe and I love armchair travelling......
    Interesting post and I'm off to visit some of your faves.

    CLaire Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm one of those (annoying) people who have chosen to change my blog's commenting system to Disqus. The reason I did this was that it was much easier for me to moderate comments and once someone has put in any of their logins (facebook, google, etc) it remembers it and readers no longer have to type a code in to a box every time they comment, plus I don't get any spam comments any more. I was getting heaps and it was really distracting from real comments. I know you've struggled to leave comments on my blog (I think I may have fixed the problem now!) but I really appreciate you taking the time to comment when I share posts from my blog on Facebook. It's great that there is more than one way of commenting, I think. I see the feedback I get on Facebook in the same way I see blog comments.

    For me, I have been a definite skimmer. Unfortunately, the time I have had to actually sit and read blogs in depth has been so limited that I have felt ok about just checking in and catching up without sitting down to comment. Hopefully now that I have a bit more time at home during the week I'll be able to make a bit more time to sit and read properly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a great skimmer, don't see the point, so that's why it always takes me a little longer to get around to actually reading people's posts. I do agree though that Instagram has really changed the way I blog and even made me question whether I really want to continue as it takes up such a big part of my day now and I must say I love Instagram a little more than blogging. It seems like you have some super inspirational blogs going on there xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm more of a photos type of person, and would prefer to look at blogs with more pictures than words.
    Plus I'm not that good with words myself so photos kind of tell the story for me.
    Thank you for featuring little me. It's nice to know that I inspire you as your inspire me also.
    x

    ReplyDelete