15.1.12

My Friend the Chocolate Cake


My Friend the Chocolate Cake are a great band. You should check them out here. This post is not about them though. This is about my friend, the chocolate cake.

I'm not a fancy artist. I write pop music, not post modern jazz. I sew A-line frocks, not wedding gowns. I knit booties, not cardigans. And I bake cakes. This is one of my favourite, simplest recipes. Called "Simplicity Chocolate Cake" and found in the 1975 Edition "Recipes For Busy Mothers" compiled by the Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia, I like to whip this one up every once in a while and throw it down with a nice pot of tea. What better way to enjoy the last few hours of the weekend on a Sunday night!


SIMPLICITY CHOCOLATE CAKE

2 TBS BUTTER
2 TBS COCOA
1 CUP SR FLOUR
1 CUP SUGAR
1/2 CUP MILK
2 EGGS
1/2 TSP VANILLA
1/2 TSP INSTANT COFFEE

MELT BUTTER. CHUCK ALL THE INGREDIENTS TOGETHER. BEAT IT FOR A COUPLE MINS. COOK IN GREASED CAKE TIN FOR 30 MINS AT 180 DEGREES. ICE IT IF YOU WANT.
EAT IT.


My secret weapon: Amazing. Rich. Organic. Fairtrade. Cocoa.

26 comments:

  1. Woohoo you blog!! Just wanna say, omg I love that cookbook! My mum gave me an original copy for Christmas this year, and I am going to treasure it, I have lusted after hers forever. And your mum is SO MUCH a NMAA kind of mum!! Awwww, miss you guys so much, can't wait to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yes i blog, shock horror! i guess its my lame attempt at remaining online in someway as i just couldnt handle the jandle when it came to facebook, twitter etc etc. yes, the cookbook is awesome! i loooooooooove it. miss you guys too. its really hit me recently just how long its been since we've seen each other. hopefully we can come across to wa in the not too distant future....xo

      Delete
  2. I have a much loved and a much used chocolate cake recipe i resort to when in a cake frame of mind, and seeing your cake did that, so i baked mine up, devoured it and was very happy so thankyou haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Goodness. Mezz, it's Lauren here - (from Par Avian!). I'm in Jordan at the moment, and wanting to make a chocolate cake for a friend's birthday today, I did a Google search for the Simplicity Chocolate Cake from the NMAA cookbook that my mum always used to make. And where do I find such a recipe, but you're lovely blog!!! I'm so delighted to have ended up here!! Once the cake making is done, and the bowl licked, I'll be back. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pleased to be able to access this book again. It was a lifesaver for me 40 yrs ago.I fed my family of 6 girls with the aid of these brilliant simple recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe it’s amazing 👍

    ReplyDelete